Effective Prayer by Jack and Judy Hartman
Taught by Judy Hartman to WOW ladies at Calvary Chapel, Palm Harbor
Lesson #1 was spent exploring and praying to God the prayers in Ephesians 1:13-23; 3:13-20. Keep these prayers with you and pray them often. Soon they will be written on your hearts.
Lesson #2: Share the Hope that is within you!
- We are spending these eight weeks focusing on being comfortable sharing our testimonies with everyone we meet, depending on the time we have. We will share our faith in Jesus Christ in some way with everyone we meet. We may be the only representative of Jesus Christ that comes into someone’s life that day. We cannot pass up the opportunity. What is Jesus returns today?
- Select three Scripture verses that express your personal experience of salvation. There may be many verses that fit your life. Right now, I will select three that fit my life.
- Judy’s testimony:
“And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God,” (Matthew 19:24 KJV) I grew up in a prosperous family in San Marino, California. We were self-assured, self-sufficient, and full of self-pride. What a time God has breaking through self-sufficiency. (My life wasn’t always that way and I definitely learned how to live with plenty and how to live with little😊)
“Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much,” (James 5:16 KJV). When I was twelve, I was operated on for malignant cancer on my hip. The plan was to amputate my left leg all the way to and including the gluteous maximus, the place where you sit😊 Our beloved housekeeper, Janie, weeped and wailed before the Lord all night long before the surgery. I came out missing only my gluteous maximus and retaining my left leg. Fervent prayer was answered!
“Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus,” (Philippians 3:13-14). I have experienced a number of tragedies in my life. I have things I deeply regret, choices I made. I have come to understand that God forgives sin, even mine. I choose this as my life verse and do my best to learn from but forget the past, enjoy the present, and anticipate the future.
(I read my testimony in 1 minute, 45 seconds. Go over and over your testimony until you know it well. Be ready to share the Hope of glory that resides inside of you!)
- Go over Ephesians 2:1-10 Learn this passage; carry it with you; refer to it
4.Go over steps of salvation and follow up: Receiving Jesus Christ: Admit you are a sinner (Romans 3:23); Repent (Romans 6:23; Ask God to forgive you (I John 1:9); pray to invite Jesus Christ to be your Savior and Lord (Romans 19:9-19)Then read the Bible; carry passages with you; pray; put on the whole armor of God; pray Psalm 91; listen to God and journal what He says to you; begin and end prayer with praise, worship, and thanksgiving to God in Christ Jesus; invest yourself in a church where Jesus Christ is alive and the Word of God is taught; tell others of your newfound gold mine: Jesus Christ; live in joyous expectation of what God will do each day in your life
5.Put on the whole armor of God: Ephesians 6:10-20
- Put on the belt of truth which is the Word of God
- Put on the breastplate of righteousness which is the blood of Jesus Christ that was shed for you to live in His righteousness
- Put on your feet with the readiness of the gospel of peace-you are ready to share Jesus Christ with everyone you meet today
- Take up the shield of faith-to extinguish all flaming arrows of Satan
- Put on the helmet of salvation-keep every thought captive to the mind of Christ; be ready to speak of the Hope that is within you
- Carry the sword of the Spirit with you-keep passages and verses before you all day, writing the Word of God on your heart
- Pray in the Spirit all of the time
6.Coming closer to God
- a) Our book A Close and Intimate Relationship with God provides a beautiful journey to grow closer to God in Christ Jesus (see our website: http://www.lamplight.net).
- b) James 4:8 “Come close to God [with a contrite heart] and He will come close to you.”
- c) “Wash your hands, you sinners; and purify your [unfaithful] hearts, you double-minded [people], And we [have seen and] know [by personal experience] that the Son of God has [actually] come [to this world], and has given us understanding and insight so that we may [progressively and personally] know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true—in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life. I John 5:20
- As we have prayer requests, we need to keep a record of prayers answered. I invite all of us to keep this record. We need a notebook for our notes and for our prayers and answers to prayers. Take prayer requests and pray as led by the Holy Spirit.
- Close in prayer